Wednesday, June 18, 2014

My toast for my sister's wedding!

This toast has been done for about a month now, but been reading it everyday. It's quite nerve wrecking when I think of reading it in front of 150 people, because there is no way I can memorize this. I get nervous speaking in front of the many people. So here it is:


Good Evening, for those of you who don’t know me I’m Becky, Jill’s maid of honor and older sister. When I first heard about their engagement, I was so happy for them, but the scariest part I knew I had to write a speech, and that Jill couldn't help me. 
She’s the kind of person who sees my humor in many situations and only she and I have childhood inside jokes we still do with one another. She’s one of the few who has always been there to listen to me rant and rave about everything and nothing. She’s beautiful inside and out. I am so blessed and grateful to be her sister.
It seems like just yesterday that we were redecorating Barbie’s playhouse, dressing up in funny costumes, sharing secrets and laughing over nothing in particular. Oh wait, that was yesterday!
I remember fighting over who got to play with the little mermaid doll until Ariel’s head popped off and getting scolded for breaking your doll. The fun times we had sneaking out Pretty Women to watch before our parents came home. I remember the times we would fight over cleaning the bathroom. And even though we fought we always made up because we weren't just sisters, we were best friends!
Mike…You've become a big part of our family in the last couple of years. It was easy to consider you a part of our family while you were dating my sister. I've watched you grow in your faith and in your love for my sister. You are becoming an amazing man of God. I’m so proud of you and it’s an honor to officially call you brother.

Like all things in life, you get out of a marriage what you put into it. You've built your relationship on the most solid of foundations that is Christ and this is the beginning of your own happily ever after. This is also when the real work begins. All the little everyday things add up to a lifetime of happiness through both the good and the bad. Congratulations, Jill and Mike! Join me in toasting them – I wish you happiness, more love than you’ll know what to do with, and may God bless you in giving you a marriage more beautiful than your wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment