Sunday, November 30, 2014

Just ranting...



This thanksgiving put me in perspective of why I am grateful for having a job, but more or less teachers don’t get paid enough and if that’s bad enough daycare workers get paid worse than teachers. 

I come from a family of teachers, my dad a retired middle school teacher, my mom a kindergarten teacher and my sister who is also a kindergarten teacher. This weekend has consisted of me helping them out in their classrooms. Today, I helped my mom out in her room by putting up high Christmas decorations that she couldn't reach, switching out holiday books, cutting and gluing activities to be done later in the week. My mom proceeds to thank me over and over of how grateful she is for me helping her out, sure mom I say after all I have been procrastinating by doing my own lesson plans for the month of December. 

I still think we should both be getting paid a lot more by doing all of this extra work. I know,  I buy most of my things for my classroom, mostly not because I have to but I do it out of generosity, and because I like certain things for my room. I've started asking for donations. So please if you donate, know I use it for the classroom and for the children. I could really use some dollar tree gift cards. I buy most of my sensory and art activities at that store. 

Most of my books I buy, I purchase on Ebay through lots. Just a note we will take anything recycled because we have fun with those pop bottles, toilet tubes and let’s not forget scraps that you might just throw out. So why do I just become a teacher and not work in a childcare center....? Because I love working with young children, I love getting to hear their first words, their experience with different things. I love the cuddling and I love being around them, I love my children as if they were my own! 

So I guess in the end be grateful for the things you have in life. I'm grateful for all my parents in letting me care for their children, so thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment